Sunday, January 23, 2011

And the search is on.................

So I have officially entered into the search for a literary agent. Now, while I am quite impatient by nature, I am business savvy. Meaning, I am more interested in finding the right agent or business partner, than I am rushing into a relationship. I guess it’s a lot like looking at the possible relationship as a one-night stand vs. a long term commitment... Tacky, I know - but I digress.

So, I have a list of agents that I have sent the query out to and about 20% of them have returned with a rejection letter, but one has asked for the full manuscript. I only hope that in writing my query letter, I didn't emphasize the paranormal elements to the point of truly missing the big picture of the story - the decisions, relationships, and the love triangle of seemingly normal teenagers...

In deciding which route to take in the creation and back story of my novel, I created something with a supernatural twist, based on Greek mythology. Honestly though, I mostly focused on the strong teenage characters and their ability to build the foundation of who they will become through the choices they make. Of course that’s baked into the novel, changing the unaware reader for the better without conscious acknowledgment. A lot like carrot cake – never knew I was eating a bunch of shredded carrots because of the thick layer of cream cheese frosting.

We shall see right? Perseverance and patience - something I have learned in my short thirty-three years to never, ever pray for ------- because God will be happy to deliver a situation that will help you to learn both....over and over and over and over......

No comments:

Post a Comment