Saturday, August 23, 2014

Random Scene Writing: Redemption

“Hold on, don’t let go.” He grunted, realizing he was losing his grip. The edge of the building he was hanging off of was more than twenty stories high.

Why did she do this? After all I have done for her? To leave me again.

The rain had begun to pick up and he struggled just to hold himself up, much less maintain his grip on her. But he couldn’t let go, no he wouldn’t let go, never.

“Just let go. You can’t hold onto me forever, Nathaniel.” She smiled. Her face showed no fear, but her eyes told a story of regret.

“No,” he screamed. “No, I won’t let go, I can’t. Just hold on to me and I’ll pull us up.”

His grip slipped again and he cursed under his breath. He flung his head back and screamed to the sky, “Where are you? Help me, if you’ve ever given a damn, help me know.” He knew he was skating on thin ice by flinging such an insult toward heaven's majesty, but he was running out of options.

I know we are at odds right now, but surely my prayers will be heard. I’ve done so much for you father. Surely you’ll answer, and let me save her this time.

He looked down into her eyes and she smiled again. “Always on your timing Nate, but He never left you. You left him. It’s time for me to go.” She twisted her hand and he screamed again, tightening his grip.

“I can get us both out of this. I can pull us up, there is still a chance; I can save us.” His heart felt as if it might explode.

“You can’t save me or yourself Nate, only He can save. Goodbye, Brother.”
She closed her eyes and jerked back hard.

“No,” Nathaniel screamed as she slipped out of his grip and plummeting twenty-five stories to her death. His heart exploded in his chest and ceased to beat. The grief was overwhelming.

He closed his eyes and tried to pull his own hand away from the ledge, but his fingers wouldn’t obey his command. He wanted to taste death, to meet her head on and feast on her promises.

“Is death so sweet you’d deny me release?” Nathaniel yelled at that the sky. The heavens responded by illuminating its breadth with shards of lightening and a great boom of thunder. Nathaniel closed his eyes to protect them from the radiance of heaven’s response.

“How dare you,” was the last thing Nathaniel heard before the warmth of the lightening penetrated his chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment